Monday, May 11, 2009

Update on Caleb Recovering From Surgery...

I feel like I have been so out of touch with everything and everyone since last Thursday when Caleb had his tonsils and adnoids removed. Out of all five of our children, we have had the most visits to the hospital with this little guy. When he was 2 he got a hold of tylenol and overdosed on a medication that was supposedly in a "child-proof" container. Than 6 mos. ago, he got tubes in his ears. That pretty much went off without a hitch. Getting his tonsils and adnoids removed however has really brought him down. They did the surgery on Thurs. Mark and I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 A.M. They gave him his "cocktail" at about 7 a.m. He was so funny.... When daddy was holding him, he continually needed to be reassured it was daddy.-I think he was seeing doubles. By the time I was holding him, he developed a "fascination" with my nose. He would point to my nose and say "EEEWWWW". Than, "That's caca" (our term for sick, yucky, etc.) He wouldn't let up for a good 10min. I was starting to get a little paranoid.L.O.L. Than, we were informed the Doctor was running late and that they would maybe have to give him another "cocktail". I was not to keen on the idea of him receiving more drugs, but they assured me he would be fine. Fortunately, he didn't need a second dose, and the surgery went well. The recovery however has been very draining. I am very blessed that Mark could take off work and be home to help with him. Caleb has required a lot of care and Mark has pretty much done most of it while I have tended to the other four kids. I will tell you when you see your child in such pain, and you can't do much for him, it gives you a whole new perspective of what parents go through that have terminally ill children. I have a new compassion for them and I have thanked the Lord that he has given my family and I good health. Today was Caleb's first day without daddy. He has really struggled with this. He told me he needed to go to work. I said you have to be a daddy to go to work. His response, "No I Caleb, and I GO TO WORK..." Poor baby. His post-op visit is Wed. I hope he will be able to return to school on Thurs. I'll post more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment